I will be teaching you how you can make money teaching music lessons online. At the end of this post, I will be putting together a step by step instruction on how to use zoom video conferencing so you can start making money from home. You will learn how to take advantage of this FREE platform called zoom video conferencing. I have step by step instructions on how to set up Zoom Video conferencing and as well as tips and tricks so you can enjoy this platform to the fullest and start making money. The step by step guide below is so simple and easy to follow. It’s for anyone who is not tech-savvy. Even my grandma can follow it.
The whole world is in home-quarantine because of Covid-19, so we must be creative on how we can connect with friends and family. Kids need to continue with their education too. I am thankful for technology, which allows us to stay in touch with loved ones during these difficult times.
What is Zoom Video Conference?
Zoom is a video and web conferencing platform. It allows people across multiple locations to take part in meetings, share files, and connect. My daughter and I are in love with music. Being in home-quarantine, we have to be creative with our lessons at home. We also miss singing along with our theater friends. Thanks to zoom video, we can continue to stay in touch and sing along live with all of our music geek friends. Another way to use zoom video conferencing is by giving a piano lesson. Zoom is a great tool that piano teachers can use to continue giving piano lessons to their students during quarantine time and beyond.
Piano Lessons with Zoom Video Conference
If you have done some research, you’ll notice more and more music teachers now taking advantage of technology and offering online music lessons. I think this is a smart idea. I know a friend who has a student from the other side of the globe. Offering online piano lessons means you can have students from all over the world.
How to get set up with Zoom Video Conference?
Just know that you don’t have to get fancy to start. There is no need for you to spend money to set this up. Zoom video is free, and you can use it with any device. You can always improve things later if you would like, but there is no need to complicate things. You can start with what you already have.
What is the Ideal Device to use for Zoom Video?
First of all, pick the device you want to use. Most frequently, a Laptop, any tablet, an Ipad or an iPhone works just fine as long as you have a good internet connection.
What is the internet connection speed required?
You can go to fast.com to quickly check your internet connection speed. I get about 80Mbps on my laptop at home. 25Mbps is the minimum speed for a successful video conference.
How to Download Zoom Video?
The next step is to download the free zoom cloud meeting app. If you are using a tablet or a phone, go to the APP store and download it from there. If you are on a laptop, you can download the zoom app straight from the browser. I have provided you a detailed step by step instructions below on how to do this if need.
Tips For A Successful Online Lesson with Zoom Video:
1. My number one tip is, make sure you connect your device to power when you are doing your lesson. The last thing you want is to get disconnected because the battery died. Connecting your device to power when giving online lessons is a good habit that you would want to start now. I have experienced getting disconnected from an online video conferencing because I did not realize my laptop is out of power.
2. Practice with someone. It’s always best to try the platform with a friend or someone first before your first online lesson. During this time, you will have the opportunity to check all connectivity, ensuring your microphone and audio are working, and last but not the least, this will be a chance to try out different angles to best position your video camera at home.
3. Where to put your camera? If you are giving a piano lesson, ensure that you position your camera enough to capture your piano, your hands, and your face. Make your camera facing your right-hand side, with the camera pointing towards your piano and far enough to be able to see your face, is typically a great spot. Also, make sure not to position the camera directly into a window. The shadow will be distracting to your students.
4. Planning – there should not be any change in terms of the materials that you will cover in these lessons. However, since this will be an online lesson, it will help you and your student if you plan. Gather all the tips and tricks that I have shared here and make it your template that you give to your students. It will come in handy for new students. Save a screenshot of how the email invite would look like and all they need to do is click that blue link when they are ready for their lesson.
5. Recording – one of the best features in zoom is that you and your student will be able to record the lesson.
Here are a few items to keep in mind on your FREE use of this platform:
1. You are limited to up to 100 participants at a time. Not a problem!
2. You have unlimited one on one meetings, YAY!
3. If ever you need to do group meetings, 40 minutes is your limit. (Most lessons are only 30 minutes anyway so this should be fine)
How to Download Zoom Video Conference Step by Step:
Step 1: Go to zoom.com or the app store.
Step 2: Click sign up for Free.
Step 3: You can use your Gmail or Facebook account to sign up.
Step 4: Click to create an account.
Step 5: You have successfully created your account and are now on the dashboard.
Set Up A Meeting
Step 1: Click ‘Schedule a new meeting’.
Step 2: Schedule the meeting.
Step 3: When you are ready to start the meeting, click start this meeting.
Step 4: Click ‘invite’ to invite others.
Step 5: Send the invite to their email.
Step 6: You have successfully started your meeting.
I hope you found this blog helpful. If you have any questions, tips or suggestions please feel free to leave a comment below.